Foster Friday’s: Meet Heather
Heather is another member of our board here at Foster Love Ministries! She also works for our local department of social services, and provides us with much needed insight as to how Foster Love Ministries can serve caseworkers. Additionally, she is a bridge between us and local foster parents, providing information on how we can best serve them. Her heart for kids in foster care is inspiring, and we are so blessed to have her.
Here, she answers some questions. Thank you Heather!
1. How long have you been at your job? About 21 years
2. What’s something you like to do to relax and have fun?
Being outside, reading and spending time with my family
3. What made you want to pursue a career in social work / foster work?
I wanted to work with an at risk population and be a voice for those individuals who need to be heard.
4. What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Working with foster parents. They are the most amazing group of individuals I have ever met. I am humbled by the sacrifices they make for the children placed in their home.
5. What is one thing you would like everyone to know about foster care? There is such a need for foster parents for older youth and sibling groups. I believe that everyone is called to serve others in some capacity. For those individuals who are feeling led to become foster parents, I would encourage them to take the plunge and make the call to their local DSS. Don't let the scary stories about foster care stop you from making a difference in a child's life.